Prior Authorization for 2017
Prior Authorization Review is the process of reviewing certain medical, surgical, and behavioral health services according to established criteria or guidelines to ensure medical necessity and appropriateness of care are met prior to services being rendered. We use prior authorization, concurrent review, and post-review to ensure appropriateness, medical need, and efficiency of health care services, procedures, and facilities being provided. This is known as utilization management.
Check which services and supplies require Prior Authorization in the categories below:
Pharmaceutical Formulary (any drug not listed in the formulary will require prior authorization)
- All clinical trials require prior authorization
- All experimental or investigational drugs and services require prior authorization
- All genetic counseling or testing not related to pregnancy requires prior authorization (may also require additional forms, found below)
- All inpatient and outpatient substance use disorder treatment for Medicare patients requires prior authorization
- All unlisted codes with a charge greater than $500 require a prior authorization
Submitting a Prior Authorization Request
- ONLINE (preferred) through the Care Management Portal
Request a Care Management Portal account to check eligibility and authorization status, print approval letters, and submit requests online 24/7. For assistance, call (206) 652-7178.
- Fax: Fill out the form matching your request and fax to the number listed on the form.
Prior Authorization Request Forms (PDF)
- Prior Authorization Request form
- Limited Extension Request form
- Exception to the Rule Request form
- FIMC Mental Health Service Request form
- FIMC Psych/Neuropsych Testing Request form
- FIMC Substance Use Disorder Services Request form
- Inpatient Admission form
- 2016 Prior Authorization list
- 2016 Summary of Changes: Prior Authorization list
- 2016 Prior Authorization Code Lookup
- 2016 FIMC & Behavioral Health Services Only Prior Authorization list
- 2016 FIMC Authorization Crosswalk
- 2016 FIMC Prior Authorization Code Lookup
How CHPW determines prior authorization
Community Health Plan of Washington and its providers use guidelines for care written by experts in the field of medicine and behavioral health. These guidelines help providers know when to use certain treatments and what problems to look out for.
These resources can include Milliman Care Guidelines®, Medicare coverage determinations, national standards, the expertise of board-certified practitioners in applicable specialties, and Community Health Plan of Washington clinical coverage criteria documents.
We follow these rules:
• Utilization Management decision makers approve or deny based only on whether the care and service are appropriate and whether the care or service is covered.
• Community Health Plan of Washington does not reward providers or others for denying coverage or care.
• Community Health Plan of Washington does not offer financial incentives to encourage Utilization Management decision makers to make decisions that result in under-using care or services.
Community Health Plan of Washington staff is available to discuss this process. An appropriate peer reviewer (medical director, pharmacist, or associate clinical director) is available to discuss any authorization or denial at 1-800-440-1561.